I enjoy trying new recipes and between blogging and my newspaper column I’m challenged to find exciting and new things to share every week. However, it’s hard to beat a good home cooked meal with a meat and vegetables and cornbread. Those are usually the meals that please my family the most.
Here is my favorite cornbread recipe. This is moist, grainy, and it isn’t sweet. It’s just like the cornbread I grew up eating. It’s perfect with soup, chili, vegetables or like my mother eats it, with a glass of milk.
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 c. stone ground cornmeal
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. shortening
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a cast iron skillet with the shortening. Place in the oven to heat the skillet.
- In a large bowl beat the buttermilk and egg together. Add the cornmeal, salt, and baking soda and mix.
- Remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour the melted shortening into the cornbread mix. Stir and pour into the hot skillet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until browned. Turn out onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve.