We are into our third week of the new year, and I wonder how many resolutions have been broken? I recently traveled to North Georgia to be with my mom during the forecasted winter weather. When I prepared for living without power, I did not make wise food choices. I stocked up of Doritos with bean dip and salsa, Mac and Cheese, and Oreos!! We did not lose power, but I could not let those indulgences go to waste either. I have struggled to get back on track since returning home.
Having delicious and easy recipes is one way for me to stay on track. I have tried several new recipes this year and have been fantastic! My goal, going forward with NJSD, is to bring you at least one healthy recipe per month. I already have a recipe in mind for February, and I can’t wait to share it with you!
In the meantime, I have one more recipe to share as we start the new year. This Black Bean Hummus is a delicious, healthy, protein-packed snack. My family loves this snack. Homemade hummus is very easy to prepare, and because you can adjust ingredients to your taste, it’s typically better than anything you can buy.
Serve hummus with pita bread, crackers, or the way my kids like it, with tortilla chips, or have a healthy snack and serve with fresh vegetables, such as cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, or celery.
Hummus always tastes better a few hours after being made. Store in the refrigerator for a delicious, healthy snack that’s ready anytime.
- 2 c. drained black beans
- ½ c. tahini
- ¼ c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
- dash of hot sauce
- water for consistency
- Using a blender or food processor blend the beans, tahini, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, lemon or lime juice, and hot sauce until smooth. With the blender or food processor running 2 to 3 tablespoons of water to reach the perfect consistency. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika and chives to serve, if desired.