While searching for something to take to my Aunt Sara’s birthday party I saw this recipe in my favorite cookbook A Passion for Baking by Marcy Goldman. I usually don’t like to take a dish that I’ve never tried before to a party. From my experience, with everything I’ve tried in this cookbook, I knew it would be great. It did not disappoint and it may just be the easiest thing I’ve ever cooked. This will be on my Christmas baking list this year.
- 1 c. unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ c. sugar
- 2¼ c. all-purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 4 (3.52 oz.) Toblerone chocolate bars, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Stack two baking sheets together and line top sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixer until blended. Add flour and salt and mix to make a stiff dough that does not quite hold together.
- Pat dough into a 13 x 9-inch pan lined with parchment paper and set on prepared baking sheets. Bake until lightly golden, 25 to 40 minutes. Sprinkle chopped chocolate on hot uncut shortbread.
- Let set about 5 minutes and smear chocolate around. Cut into small squares and remove cookies to fridge or freezer to set up.