Those of you who have known me for years will probably still be a little shocked by this post. I know, I know…but people change. I was never a dog lover…until I got a dog.
We adopted our first dog, Browning, when we moved to the farm. I mean, that is how it works, right? You move to a farm, you get a dog. Then the following December, we got our second dog, Sugar. After all, Browning needed a friend. Then on Easter 2011 someone dropped 4 beautiful puppies off at a dumpster near our house. That’s when Max came into our lives. We found homes for the other 3, but one look in Max’s big droopy eyes and my heart was his. Unlike people, they are happy to see me ALL of the time. They could care less if my hair is fixed or if I have on make-up. These three sweet dogs have converted me into a dog lover.
So, over the weekend I made them these peanut butter dog treats. They love them, so obviously they are good. I didn’t try them, but I could have…there’s nothing in them that I couldn’t consume. I feel good about making them because I know the ingredients and they were so, so simple! If your dog is sensitive to wheat you can substitute another flour. Also, I used chunky peanut butter.
- 2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 c. rolled oats
- ⅓ c. peanut butter, chunky or smooth
- 1¼ c. hot water
- Additional flour for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Mix the peanut butter into the hot water. Add to the dry ingredients and stir. If dough it too sticky add a little more flour.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Roll dough to ¼" thickness. Cut with cookie cutter and place on prepared pan. Reroll scraps and cut to use up all of your dough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool completely on wire racks.