I have not found a way that I will not eat a sweet potato. I enjoy them baked with butter, and a little cinnamon, or in a casserole, or au gratin, or in a pie or cobbler, and now my new favorite way to have them is in a smoothie! Such a delicious way to start the day and get a good dose of nutrients too!
You can bake sweet potatoes ahead of time. Keep the skin on and in an airtight container in the refrigerator. That makes it easy to make this smoothie early in the a.m. When I do not want to make banana bread, I take overripe bananas, peel them and add one banana in a snack-size ziplock bag. I then place the many snack size bags in one big gallon bag for the freezer. It’s so easy to take one out when you need it.
- ½ c. sweet potato, cooked, peeled, and mashed
- ½ frozen banana, cut into chunks
- 1 c. ice cubes
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ c. milk
- ¾ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Splenda, Truvia, honey, or sugar, to taste
- whipped cream and nutmeg, for garnish, optional
- In a blender combine sweet potato, banana, ice cubes, vanilla, milk, pumpkin pie spice, and sweetener. Blend on low until smooth. Pour into a glass and garnish, if desired.