It seems like we have had some pretty healthy years around our house. Some sniffles here and there, but mostly healthy, until this year! It has been our year to make up for lost time!
It all started when Wes came home sick. After that Greg and I both ended up with pneumonia, and I was sick well over three weeks. I do not wish that on anyone!
Thankfully, Savannah never got sick! After all, we needed someone to take care of us! When I finally had an appetite, Savannah made this Chicken Caprese Salad, and I am now obsessed with it! It may be the best salad I have ever had!
I have always loved the freshness of a Caprese salad, but I had never thought about using the same ingredients in a green salad. Everything about this salad is delicious, from the fresh mozzarella and fresh basil to this incredible balsamic dressing!
- ¼ c. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 12 chicken tenders
- 5 c. Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1 c. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ c. mini fresh mozzarella balls
- ¼ c fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Salt and black pepper, to season
- Whisk vinegar, oli, brown sugar, garlic, dried basil and salt together to combine. Place uncooked chicken in a shallow dish; pour a small amount of dressing over chicken and toss around to coat. Reserve unused dressing for later.
- Heat grill or a small amount of oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until cooked through, set aside and allow to rest.
- Slice chicken into strips and prepare salad with lettuce, tomatoes, mozzarella and chicken. Top with fresh basil. Drizzle with reserved dressing; season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve.