While flipping through an old cookbook recently I saw this recipe for Chicken Parmesan with no breading. We love Chicken Parmesan so I knew this was something I had to try. This recipe is from Everyday Italian by Giada De Laurentiis. I had more chicken than the 4 (3-oz. each) chicken cutlets so I had to increase my ingredients accordingly. Also, I ran out of oil and had to add a little extra to my herbs.
It was so quick and easy and the flavor did not disappoint. Nobody even mention the missing breading. In the past I would have probably served this with pasta and a side salad. I left the pasta off this time and didn’t even miss it.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 chicken cutlets (about 3 ounces each)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ c. Marinara Sauce
- ¼ c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 tsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir the oil and herbs to blend. Brush both sides of the cutlets with the herb oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over a high flame. Add the cutlets and cook just until brown, about 1 minute per side. (Do this is batches if you need to) Remove from the heat.
- Spoon the marinara sauce over and around the cutlets. Sprinkle 1 tbsp. of mozzarella over each cutlet, then sprinkle 2 tsp. of Parmesan over each. Dot the tops with the butter pieces, and bake until the cheese melts and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.