For a Thanksgiving meal to be complete, cranberries are just as important as the turkey, in my opinion. Aunt Ruby’s Fresh Cranberry Salad is one of my all-time favorites. It was on the holiday table at most of our Bolton family Thanksgiving dinners when I was growing up.
When I was old enough to be interested in the recipe, I pretty much had to take an oath that I would never share the recipe. As it turns out my aunt had given it to my mother in confidence, and my mother made me promise, just as she once had, never to share it.
Time has gone by, and my aunt passed several years ago. I think I’m safe in sharing it now. In fact, I think it would make her smile to know that I was sharing it with my readers now. Preparing this recipe and many others passed down through the years is just one way to keep their memories close.
Our holiday dinner table seems to be missing a few more every year. I miss each of them terribly, but the memories I have of our wonderful times together warms my heart year-round. Give thanks for those you love most of all, and I wish you all a blessed Thanksgiving!
Fresh Cranberry Salad
- 1 c. boiling water
- 2 (3-oz.) boxes strawberry Jello
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- zest of 2 lg. oranges
- 2 lg. oranges
- 1 (20-oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 2 c. cranberries, ground in food processor or blender
- 1 crisp, red apples, finely chopped
- 1 c. pecans, finely chopped
- In a large bowl pour boiling water over Jello and sugar, mix to dissolve.
- Zest oranges and add to Jello mixture.
- Place the oranges horizontally on the cutting board. Slice off both ends of the oranges. Stand the orange up on one of the cut ends. Cut the orange peel and pith off around the entire orange, from top to bottom, so the fruit is exposed. Hold the orange over a bowl to collect juice. Place your knife in between the segments of the oranges and cut each section away from the membranes, so no pith or membrane remains on the pieces of fruit. Squeeze all juice from remaining orange. Chop orange pieces finely and add to Jello mixture.
- Stir in pineapple, ground cranberries, apple, and pecans. Mix well and refrigerate.
(Visited 82 times, 1 visits today)