Last year we planted blueberry bushes, blackberries, a fig tree and two plum trees. We got about a handful of blueberries last year, a couple of blackberries, my fig tree died and we didn’t get any plums. This year it looks like I’m going to get enough blueberries for a few pies and I picked about a cup of blackberries this morning.
What to do with 1 cup of blackberries?!? I decided to make a mixed berry cobbler. This is a cobbler that many of you probably already have the recipe for. I’ve been making it forever. In fact, it’s one of the first recipes I ever tried because it’s super simple. I usually use a large can of peaches (pictured at the top of this posting), but today I used my 1 c. of blackberries, added 1 cup of blueberries from the freezer and sliced 1 c. fresh strawberries. I served it warm with vanilla ice cream and it was delicious!
- 1 stick butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 c. milk
- 3 c. fruit (or 1 lg. can of fruit with juice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put stick of butter in a 9 x 13 baking dish and heat in oven until the butter melts.
- In a bowl mix sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and milk. Add melted butter and combine.
- Pour mixture into 9 x 13 dish. Drop fruit evenly into batter.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 - 45 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.