I welcomed spring by working in the yard. It is looking great after its first cutting, my hummingbird feeders are filled and awaiting visitors, I’ve pulled weeds and I plan to do some planting this week, if weather permits. I love working in the yard this time of year, when it’s starting to warm up but we haven’t hit the 90’s yet. Before the gnats and mosquitoes and before I see the first dreaded snake.
With warm weather I need quick and easy meals, especially during the workweek. I want something that the whole family will eat, and that I can prepare without a lot of fuss. I have made this Lemon Chicken for years and even though I have a few that are “lemon picky”, this has always been a family favorite. In fact, I often double the recipe in order to have leftovers.
This dish does not have a strong lemon flavor so I serve it with extra lemon slices for those who want an extra splash of lemon. I usually cut my chicken halves in half and add a few boneless, skinless thighs for the dark meat lovers in our house. This can be baked in the oven or cooked in a skillet on the stove top. We like this dish served with rice pilaf or mashed potatoes and a green vegetable.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ c. chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 3 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper the chicken on both sides. In a shallow bowl, dredge chicken in flour, reserving extra flour in the bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Brown chicken on both sides. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside if you plan to cook the chicken in the skillet, or add the chicken to a baking dish if you plan to cook in the oven.
- Add the butter to the oil, melt, then sauté onion until tender. Add reserved flour and whisk. Gradually add chicken broth and lemon juice, whisking to blend. Bring to a boil, whisking, and cook for a couple of minutes until thickened.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet if you plan to cook in the skillet, or pour the sauce over the chicken in baking dish. Top each piece of chicken with a slice of lemon, if desired.
- Cover and simmer on low or bake in a 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is done through.