A friend recently shared what I thought was a very unusual recipe for Fried Okra Salad. I’ve lived in the south all of my life and had never heard of such a thing. I was instantly intrigued and knew I had to give it a try. After all, she assured me that she has to share the recipe whenever she takes it out.
Last week I had a “recipe testing” day. There were three recipes I wanted to try and I started with the Okra Salad first thing. I had planned to have a bite and then take a big bowl up to my friends at the bank. However, my friends at the bank never got to try it! It was so delicious that I had a big bowl and then went back for seconds. It was my breakfast and my lunch that day. Obviously, I don’t need to be having recipe testing days often!
- 2 (12-oz.) bags freshly frozen breaded okra
- 8 sliced bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 c. grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
- ¼ c. granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- dash hot sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fry the okra as directed on the package, set aside.
- In a large bowl add the crumbled bacon, grape tomatoes, and green onions. Add the fried and drained okra and set aside.
- In a small jar add vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Shake to combine. Just before serving drizzle the dressing over the okra mixture. Toss to coat and serve.