Whoop whoop…today is the day I have been looking forward to for weeks now! I get my cast off today!! Pure joy!! I have been out of the house several times now, but always with an escort. Getting down the stairs has been easiest for me. I can hold onto the railing and hop down one footed. Getting up the stairs has been a different ballgame. For a couple of weeks, I felt that Greg or Wes needed to be here to help me up. I recently figured out that I could crawl up the steps. It’s not very comfortable on your knees, but sometimes we just have to do what we have to do.
When the cast comes off today, I go into a boot. I’ve never had one of those before so I’m not sure what to expect. I know I can take it off to shower so no more showers with my leg hanging out of the door! Oh, the little things we take for granted! Dr. Spivey originally told me that I would wear the boot for four weeks, so hopefully that is still the case.
I am hoping that I will be able to walk well. I’ve been a little nervous since they told me at my last visit that walking would be slow and that I “might not even be able to walk out of the office” the day I get my cast off. Hmm…that’s not the news I wanted to hear. In situations like this, I always tend to think, in the back of my mind, that I’ll be the exception? I’ll be able to run out of the office today! I’ll be sure to update you on that! Either way, today I am closer to walking that I was on March 11th!
Today’s recipe for Cheeseburger Egg Rolls is a great little appetizer. They are so simple to make and are much more impressive than your run of the mill dip. Don’t get me wrong; I love a good dip. These turn heads, though. They are different, and you can make them with beef, turkey, or if you have a hunter in the house, venison. I mixed up mayo and stone ground mustard to serve as a dip. You can simply serve with mustard and ketchup if you prefer.
- 1 lb. ground beef, ground turkey, or ground venison
- ½ medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 sliced American cheese
- ½ c. diced dill pickles
- 13 to 14 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg white
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Condiments of your choice, ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and the minced onions. Salute until onion is translucent.
- Add the ground meat and cook, stirring got break up as much as possible, until well done. Drain off any juices and spoon meat into a mixing bowl.
- Break up the cheese and add to the meat. Mix until all of the cheese has melted. Stir in the pickles, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat 1 to 1½-inches of vegetable oil in a skillet.
- While the oil heats, gently whisk the egg white in a small bowl and set aside.
- To roll the egg rolls, position the egg roll wrapper in front of you in a diamond shape. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the cheeseburger mixture, in a line off slightly off center, nearest corner near you, leaving about 1-inch on each side. Gently and carefully, fold the corner nearest you over the meat filling and tuck it under the filling. Using a pastry brush or your finger, lightly brush some of the egg white onto the wrappers edges. Fold in both sides of the wrapper, then roll the egg roll up.
- Fry egg rolls in batches until golden brown, turning as needed to brown on all sides. Remove to a paper-towel lines plate.
- Serve with condiments of your choice.