Maybe it’s just me, but seems to take me forever to get back on track when I decide to throw all caution to the wind and eat whatever I desire. We had “dinner on the ground” at church the Sunday before Valentine’s Day and that was the beginning of my downward spiral. The following week I indulged a lot. Then I topped it off yesterday with a number one combo from Sonic. Time for a get real talk with myself.
I have started this week much better, but my goodness, it’s like starting over again! Healthy living is tough! Sometimes I wish I had never been raised on biscuits, gravy, country ham and fried salmon patties! Life would be so much easier now! It seems that what I have established so far is my downfall last week is due to church and mama, lol.
Flatbreads have quickly become one of my favorite meals while trying to eat healthier. A few of my favorites are Buffalo Chicken Flatbread, Shrimp Verde Flatbread (recipe on NJSD), and this Cucumber Caprese Flatbread. I found this recipe while visiting my mom and looking through her Diabetic Living magazines. I love the recipes in her magazines so much that she recently gave me a gift subscription.
These recipes are packed with flavor, and because I can eat the entire flatbread I do not feel deprived! I typically prefer to make homemade dressing. However, for 1/2 tablespoon of dressing I found that Newman’s Own Light Balsamic is very good. If you still prefer to make your own because of salt content I will include an amazing recipe below.
- 1 light original oval flatbread (I used Flatout brand)
- ½ c. coarsely torn fresh arugula and/or baby spinach
- ¼ c. red and/or yellow cherry tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- ¼ c. English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tbsp. thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tbsp. torn fresh basil
- ½ tbsp. bottled light balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- 2 tbsp. roasted red pepper hummus
- 1 tbsp. crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425℉. Place the flatbread on a baking sheet. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned and edges are crisp. Transfer to a wire rack; cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the arugula (and/or baby spinach), cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and basil; toss with vinaigrette.
- Spread hummus on cooled flatbread. Spoon tomato mixture over hummus. Sprinkle with feta cheese and black pepper. Cut into wedges and serve.
- Weight Watchers Smart Points = 3 points
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- ½ tsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. salt
- Whisk all ingredients together, pour over salad and toss.
- Weight Watchers Smart Points = 4