This meringue cake with fresh fruit is such a treat that you may catch yourself making it all of the time! You’ll be in and out of the kitchen in no time, and you can bake it ahead of time. It’s so easy that I almost feel guilty sharing it. After all, you start with a cake mix.
This cake is simply a white cake mix, topped with meringue and nuts and served with fresh fruit. I like peaches or strawberries, and I don’t even use additional sugar on the fruit. The dessert is simple enough to serve on a weeknight, but it’s delicious enough to serve to guest.
Meringue Cake with Fresh Fruit
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1¼ c. granulated sugar
- ¾ c. chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds)
- Chopped fresh fruit
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans, set aside.
- Prepare cake mix according to directions on box. Spread into prepared pans and set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add sugar, beating thoroughly. Spread meringue over cake batter. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes or until center tests done. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut into wedges and serve with fresh fruit.
I have mentioned many times in the past that I have seasonal recipes. I love chicken and dumplings, apple pie, and soup, but I usually prepare those dishes in the fall and winter. Salads are a favorite of mine, along with lemonade and ice cream. Those dishes are generally reserved for the summertime. I thought I would share some of my favorite recipes, already on NJSD, that I prepare throughout the summer months. To see the recipes, click on the recipe names below. Enjoy!
Strawberry & Blueberry Salad with Almonds
On of my all-time favorites, this salad is amazing!
If you are a fish lover you must try this dish!
This salsa compliments just about any grilled poultry, meat, or fish wonderfully!
Apricot-Balsamic Glazed Chicken
Delicious every time!
A refreshing treat for hot summer days!
Smoky Gouda Grits and Shimp
My new favorite summer dish!
Fruit with Wine and Mint
Customize this with fruit of your choice!
Garlic Grilled Tomatoes
I pick up Roma tomatoes every time I’m in the store, during the summer, to be prepared to make these!
Chili Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Apricot Ginger Glaze
Peach Ice Cream
Summer would not be complete without homemade ice cream!