Give me a day with temperatures under 80 and you will find me polishing up my boots, dragging out my scarves, and pulling out the fall recipes!
With fall just around the corner, my mind is on chili and soup, pumpkin and apples. Have you noticed how pumpkin spice products have taken over the nation? Because of “superfans,” Starbucks began offering their pumpkin spice lattes early this year. One fan, in particular, was delighted. That is Wesley’s girlfriend, Ashley. She is as crazy about pumpkin spice as I am about apples.
Just in time for fall, I want to share this fabulous cream cheese spread. Not only is this fantastic Pumpkin Spice Spread yummy on a warm toasted bagel, but it’s also delicious stuffed inside French toast.
I am also including the recipe for homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice. This combination of warm, fragrant spices is great to keep on hand this time of the year. It is simple to make, and any well-stocked spice cabinet will include all of the ingredients.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c. canned pumpkin puree
- 2½ tbsp. brown sugar, packed
- 1½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice blend, or more to taste
- ¼ c. finely chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl combine the cream cheese, pumpkin, brown sugar, spice blend,pecans, and vanilla with an electric mixer. Mix until mixed well and smooth. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- 1½ tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¾ tsp. allspice
- ¾ tsp. tsp. ground cloves
- Mix all of the spices together in a small bowl. For convenient storage, pour into a small glass jar.