There is nothing I love better than this festive time of the year! From the decorating to shopping, to the baking, it’s all fun to me. Preparing the recipes that I have collected throughout the years from loved ones and friends bring back wonderful memories and for a little while, some that have been long gone are with me again.
A new recipe to my collection if from my Aunt Janis. These are possibly my all-time favorite cookie, though. You can bake it 10 to 12 minutes for a soft cookie or go just a little longer for a cookie with a little bit of crisp.
To make absolutely gorgeous cookies decorate with sprinkles by rolling the dough log in sprinkles before freezing. These make a delicious and pretty gift when placed in clear treat bags.
- 1¾ c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. Butter flavor Crisco shortening
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c. self-rising flour
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the sugar and shortening. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour, one cup at a time and mix just until blended.
- Divide the dough in half and place each half on a large sheet of wax paper. Use the wax paper and roll the dough into a log. At this point, you can roll in sprinkles, if desired. Wrap tightly in the wax paper and freeze the roll for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from freezer and cut into approximately ⅜-inch slices. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 325° for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.