The males in our house feel that breakfast is a must. I cook almost every morning, even when I don’t want to. I have been trying homemade biscuits in different ways lately. A few of them were so good I thought I would share these with you.
I have mentioned before that we love “everything” seasoning around here. I had been wanting to try it in a biscuit and when I finally got around to it we loved it. It added great flavor to our breakfast sandwiches.
But then I wanted to take it a bit further by waffling the biscuit (pictured at top). I liked this even better. The biscuit cooked up great in the waffle maker. I did not pay attention to the green light on top of my iron that indicates when the “waffle” has cooked through. I kept peeking until the waffled biscuits were golden brown. It was cooked through and held up perfect for a breakfast sandwich! I am sure this would work great with canned biscuits as well.
Savannah wanted me to try a plain biscuit this way. So, I made up a batch of plain biscuits to waffle. I served them with gravy but you could butter them and serve them with jam or jelly. If you have small children I think it would be fun to cut the dough into rectangles for easy dipping.
- 1½ c. all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¾ tbsp. baking powder
- ¼ c. shortening
- ¾ to 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. everything seasoning, optional
- additional flour for the board
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and everything seasoning. Cut shortening in with a fork or pastry blender until shortening is about the size of a dime. Stir in buttermilk just until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Dough will be sticky.
- Dump dough onto a lightly floured surface, dust top of dough with flour. Pat out into ½- inch thickness. Cut biscuits into desired shape.
- When waffle iron is ready, spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place biscuit or biscuits onto preheated iron and close to cook. Peek at the biscuits occasionally. They should be light golden brown when done.
- 2 tbsp. dried minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. dried minced onion
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container.